Brand Relevance: Making Competitors Irrelevant
David Aaker, the father of branding, defines the concept of brand relevance using dozens of case studies: Prius, Whole Foods, Westin, iPad and more-and explains how brand relevance drives market dynamics, which generates opportunities for your brand and threats for the competition. Aaker reveals how these companies have made other brands in their categories irrelevant. He shows how to eliminate the competition and become the lead brand in your market.
- When managing a new category of product, treat it as if it were a brand
- By failing to produce what customers want or losing momentum and visibility, your brand becomes irrelevant; and create barriers to competitors by supporting innovation at every level of the organization.
- Using dozens of case studies, shows how to create or dominate new categories or subcategories, making competitors irrelevant
- Shows how to manage the new category or subcategory as if it were a brand and how to create barriers to competitors
- Describes the threat of becoming irrelevant by failing to make what customer are buying or losing energy
Chief marketing and commercial officer, Coca-Cola
“Aaker has nailed it (again)! The long-term viability of a business is inextricably linked to gaining a brand relevance advantage through new category and subcategory development and unique positioning.”
Former chief marketing officer, P&G
“Most of our work as brand builders is reactionary, chasing each other’s ideas. The result is a marketplace of sameness. David Aaker gives us fresh principles and real ideas to change that, to be truly innovative, to raise our game.”
Chief marketing officer, Adobe
“Aaker has hit the nail on the head with Brand Relevance. You’ve gotta take the leap or risk getting left behind.”
Author, Delivering Happiness and chief executive officer, Zappos.com, Inc.
“Brand Relevance shows how finding a higher purpose, a characteristic of great companies, can affect which brands customers perceive as relevant.”
About the Author
David Aaker, is the author of over one hundred articles and 18 books on marketing, business strategy and branding that have sold over one million copies. A recognized authority on branding, he has developed concepts and methods on brand building that are used by organizations around the world.
Explore how David Aaker and Prophet can help your business build relevant brands.